Woolworths awarded Gold for second year running in LGBTI Awards
Mirage News, 30 May 2019 3:07 PM AEST
Woolworths Group is proud to again be recognised with gold tier status at the 2019 Australian LGBTI Inclusion Awards for the second year running.
The Australian LGBTI Inclusion Awards is based on the results of the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI), the national benchmark on LGBTI inclusion.
The event recognises Australia’s top organisations for LGBTI inclusion and celebrates leaders, individuals and networks that have made a significant impact within their workplaces.
Woolworths remains the only retailer in Australia to be awarded Gold Tier status.
Woolworths Group Head of Diversity and Inclusion, Rachel Mead said: “At Woolworths, creating an inclusive culture is a huge priority for us. We want all our team members to feel free to bring their whole selves to work.
“We are delighted to be recognised as a gold tier workplace by AWEI for a second year in a row and extremely proud of the work we have undertaken to progress LGBTI inclusion in the workplace and the efforts of our teams across the Group.”
In the past twelve months, Woolworths Group has undertaken the following initiatives to progress LGBTI inclusion in the workplace:
- Continuing educational LGBTI events and training sessions for team members and leaders;
- Hosting a diversity roundtable and networking event;
- Growing the Proud at Woolworths Group to 2000+ members;
- Celebrating Wear it Purple Day across the Group, nationwide;
- Partnering with the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras in 2019 with teams participating in their first Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade this year;
- Launching LGBTI inclusion training online to improve access for all team members;
- Hosting a guest panel event to mark Transgender Day of Remembrance to drive transgender awareness and inclusion across the Group; and
- Inclusion of a double page spread on LGBTI inclusion in Woolworths Group Sustainability Report.
Rachel concluded: “While we know we still have more work to do, we are fully committed to continuing to create better experiences for our LGBTI team members.
“It is a very exciting time to be at Woolworths. As a diverse team, we know we can create better experiences together, each and every day.”